One of the best things about technology is its power to connect people regardless of the physical distance between them. And that is exactly what people in long distance relationships need, fun and exciting ways to spend virtual, quality time together. An online movie night is a great option for a stimulating date remote couples could enjoy without too much hussle.
What is a virtual movie date?
A virtual movie date is quite similar to a traditional one, where you go out to a movie with your beloved. The only difference is that the first takes place online, meaning that you and your partner watch the same movie, but in your own homes and discuss it over the phone or chat.
Being in a long distance relationship makes it somewhat difficult to stay in touch and go on dates. Luckily, there are several free apps that allow remote couples to have online movie dates. Watching TV shows or movies in sync, while laughing and talking about it can make partners feel connected even when they are far away from each other.
Virtual movie dates could be a lot of fun for your usual scheduled meetings or a nice idea for a special ocassion, should you choose a meaningful film. Either way, you and your loved one can have a great time together, chatting and sharing feelings and emotions and simply connecting to each other.
5 Tips on how to watch movies together online
Watching a movie together with your significant other could be easy, in spite of the distance that keeps you apart. There are five steps you could consider to enjoy a relaxing, yet entertaining movie date.
- Choose a date - it might seem obvious, but take into account that a movie is usually between 90 and 120 minutes. So you and your partner should be able to clear your busy schedules for that time. Furthermore, if you would like to make movie night a recurrent event, you need a day of the week that works for both of you.
- Select your platform - there is a great variety of streaming apps that will allow you to watch a movie together with your remote partner. Picking an appropriate one depends mostly on the movie you want to watch and also on the availability of the streaming services in both of your locations.
- Optimize the experience by making sure the tech part is all covered:
- Choose the right screen - if you are wondering how to watch movies together online and enjoy the moment to the fullest, the answer is always “ on a big screen”. And fortunately there are a few apps that will let users mirror movies from their laptops to the TV screen, via a WiFi connection.
- Avoid network interruptions with WiFi Explorer - you can make sure your movie date is not going to be disrupted because of poor WiFi signal. WiFi Explorer is an app that operates as a grid analyzer, scanning your network to identify the strongest signal inside your home. Plus, it can help you fix unforeseen network issues right on the spot.
- Find the perfect sounding- some people may feel lonely in front of a big screen, in which case they could choose the cozier solution of the computer. The only problem with this type of hardware is the quality of the sound. If you worry about the dialogues in the movie, you could get the customized app Boom 3D. It is an amazing sound equalizer for laptops, with a 3D surround function.
- Get some snacks - you can’t really watch a movie without delicious candy or popcorn! Make sure to have plenty of snacks around for your big date.
- Hit “Play” and enjoy the virtual movie date - once you are all logged in to your streaming app and you got plenty of your favorite treats, you can start the movie. Still, it could be better to discuss some ground rules for the viewing, like whether you should talk during the movie or wait until it is over etc.
How exactly do watch parties work?
In this modern day and age, couples in long distance relationships have various dating options they can experience in the virtual environment. Sometimes, you can share your fun and thrilling time, such as movie nights, with close friends, by going on a virtual double date. And thus, your online movie date turns into a watch party.
There are several watch party services available that work in a similar way. The first point on your checklist should be that all participants have a valid subscription for the streaming app of your choice. Second, most of these platforms run on a PC and with a Chrome browser. However, certain services, such as Amazon Prime Video, work anywhere you can install it, including on a TV.
Once you set up the watch party, the majority of these services allow participants to chat with one another in a chatroom on the edge of the screen. There are even options that let you start a video chat while the movie is playing. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that these platforms sync the film for everyone connected. If one person pauses, the movie will be paused for everybody.
Recommended streaming apps
Movies are a fun pastime, particularly when you watch them with the person you love. For partners who are miles away from each other, video streaming services are of great help. They allow users to synchronize a movie they watch together online, as well as to talk in specially designed chat rooms. Virtual movie nights are a great idea for LDRs, as they make remote couples feel closer and connected and encourage communication, which is important for their future.
Here are 10 apps or services that will make your virtual movie date a night to remember.
- SharePlay on FaceTime enables participants to watch movies or tv shows while video chatting. Playback controls can be shared by the people on a call and it also comes with a Picture in Picture function, which means that one person can use their phone without interrupting the watching process.
- Zoom & Skype - although challenging for larger groups, these old school platforms are the ideal solution for couples. They are also better for outdated laptops that couldn’t handle the technological requirements of modern apps or for international partners who may not have access to the same streaming services.
- Teleparty (former NETFLIX Party) is a browser extension useful for movie nights with your long distance significant other. It synchronizes videos and creates group chat to your favorite streaming sites. Just imagine being able to enjoy your favorite Netflix series or movies with your loved one.
- As its name suggests, Watch2gether allows you to watch movies together with your remote partner in real-time. The best feature of the app is that it doesn’t require a registration process. Users can activate it with a temporary nickname.
- TwoSeven is perhaps one of the best tools for watching movies together online with your beloved or your friends. You can use the platform to share videos from Netflix, HBO Now, Vimeo, YouTube and Amazon Prime Video. Its premium version comes with Disney Plus and Hulu subscriptions, for a small fee of $5 to $20.
- Scener lets couples in LDRs to connect via a video call while watching Netflix together. The chrome extension is easily accessible and its interface is quite user friendly. This tool comes with a virtual remote control that can be shared by the participants.
- Hulu Watch Party allows you and your partner to watch shows and movies together — as long as both parties own a subscription. There is also a chat window where you message each other while you watch.
- Although Amazon Prime Watch Party has a large variety of selections, for the movies that come at an extra cost, both or all participants need to pay the fee of the movie.
- Gaze is an online platform, so remote couples can watch a movie together directly on their website. One creates a room and then they invite the other to join and watch any movie files saved on both of their laptops. Only two people can use the service at the same time, so this makes it a great option for virtual date night.
- Kast (formerly known as Rabbit) is a video sharing app that stores a content library. The platform is free and provides access to many streaming services. It also includes screen sharing and voice, text and video chat.